icon language english

University of South Bohemia

Recognition of education or documents in the Czech Republic

‘Validation’ or ‘Recognition of education’ means that primary, secondary, postsecondary, and university education received outside (other foreign countries) of the Czech Republic is considered equivalent to education received in the Czech Republic.

17:55, 25/09/2022


  • Receiving recognition of your foreign certificates and diplomas is strictly necessary if you intend to start or continue your education in the Czech Republic.
  • If any employer wants professional qualifications for an open position, a foreigner must produce a recognition document substantiating their qualifications.
  • Regional education departments validate diplomas from primary, secondary, and college/ professional schools; Prague’s Magistrate validates them finally, and you will receive a recognition certificate shown below. You must describe the studies’ contents and scope.
  • All diplomas must be translated to English if present in regional languages, notarized, and apostilled by the Ministry of external affairs in their respective countries before submission.
  • Apostille and/or superlegalization prove that a document was issued or authenticated by a judicial or administrative authority of the country’s regulatory authority. Legalization verifies a document’s stamp and signature, not its contents, and legalization confirms documents’ legitimacy and eliminates forgeries.
  • Usually, the original diplomas are accepted for submission, but in rare cases, a notarised true copy of the original document will also work (Subject to the agreement with the study official).
  • If you want your university diploma validated, contact a Czech public university study officer with a similar approved study program or the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports.
  • This process is necessary and will be carried out by the study officer contacting you for admissions with some fees. Every student will undergo this process; don’t worry; the documents will be handled safely during the entire process.
  • You must read more about this at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (www.mzv.cz/jnp/cz/cestujeme/overovani_listin/index.html) or the website of the Ministry of Education, Youth and Sports (www.msmt. cz/mezinarodni-vztahy/uznavani-vzdelani). You can also contact a specialized NGO recommended on the website.




** Note: This Information is written as of July 2022 and contains up-to-date information. Before taking on any procedures, please make sure to closely examine the website https://www.mvcr.cz/.

Other articles

All articles